I’m pleased to be able to participate in this year’s Menu for Hope fundraiser.So what is Menu for Hope? This description from the organization’s Facebook site explains it so much better than I could:
“Just for $10, you can feed a hungry child (for over a month), and, if you’re in luck, Ferran will show you his toys. Yes, as in Adrià.Menu for Hope is an annual raffle in support of the UN World Food Programme, with fabulous prizes from food bloggers, food lovers, restaurateurs, and chefs from around the world. Last year, Menu for Hope raised over $60,000 for the WFP.
Here is how it works. You donate $10, we give you a virtual raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. Try your luck at lunch with Harold McGee, or a visit with Ferran Adria at the fabled elBulli test kitchen in Barcelona, or get a virtual sheep your very own, or many other amazing foodie prizes from food bloggers around the world. The more you give, the better chance to win.
Our beneficiary, the World Food Programme, is the world’s largest food aid agency, working with over 1,000 other organizations in over 75 countries. In addition to providing food, the World Food Program helps hungry people to become self-reliant so that they escape hunger for good.
Funds from this year’s Menu for Hope will go specifically to support the school feeding program in Lesotho. We chose to back this particular program, not only because providing food at schools help the kids, particularly girls, stay in school, but also because the WFP is making a concerted effort in Lesotho to source food from local farmers practicing conservation farming methods. We feed the kids and support their parents farming. What’s not to like in this? See more information here
Menu for Hope 4 will run for two weeks, from December 10-21.
My contribution to this year’s Menu for Hope is a $100 gift certificate to Penzey’s Spices, which can be used in one of their many retail locations, online, or over the phone after looking at their catalog. They ship both to the US and internationally, so this one is open to anyone worldwide. They have over 250 spices, herbs and seasonings, awesome quality and selection, so there’s something here for everyone.
Update: I’ll be out of the country on the 9th when the winners are drawn, so I’m sending the certificate to Kalyn to forward to the winner – if you are the lucky one who wins, contact her directly to arrange for delivery of your prize.
Here’s how to participate in A Menu for Hope:
1. Choose a prize or prizes of your choice from our Menu for Hope at Chez Pim. (Check the morning of December 10 to see all the prizes.) – if you’d like to choose the Penzey’s gift certificate, my prize code is UC05.
2. Go to the donation site at First Giving and make a donation.
3. Please specify which prize you’d like in the ‘Personal Message’ section in the donation form. You must write in how many tickets per prize, and use the prize code. (Each $10 you donate will buy one raffle ticket toward any prize.For example, a donation of $50 can be 2 tickets for EU01 and 3 tickets for EU02. Please write 2xEU01, 3xEU02.)
4. If your company matches your charity donation, please check the box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
5. Please check the box to allow us to see your email address so that we could contact you in case you win.Your email address will not be shared with anyone. Check back on Chez Pim on Wednesday Jaunary 9 for the results of the raffle.
Good luck, everyone – and thank you in advance for your generosity!